The most delicious and crunchy seed crackers you'll ever eat! These healthy whole grain alternatives are great for snacking or as an appetizer to any dish. They're vegan, gluten-free if desired (and not required), oil-free with a perfect texture that pairs well by themselves but also goes excellent paired up on top of your favorite dishes like salads & soups too. Best Vegan Cracker Recipe! Loaded with seeds like, flax seeds, sunflower seeds!
Since discovering these healthy crackers, I can't stop eating them! The best part is that they're oil free and vegan, so everyone in my family wants to enjoy the snacks with their favorite dip (vegan cream cheese or Vegan Obatzda German Cheese Spread). They are super simple to make which makes it even easier for me as well; not having any patience, ladies will love how quickly you can whip up some crispbreads at home without all of those preservatives found on store bought brands
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read More
This is one of the easiest cracker recipes you will ever try. All that's needed is some mixing and waiting, then spread it over a tray to bake - nothing more!
I love to cut my healthy seed crackers in different sizes to have them for snacks, lunch ready.
A quick list of the ingredients you will need to make these flax seed crackers.
You can find the ingredients with quantities and the recipe to print out on the recipe card below.
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Sunflower Seeds
- White Sesame Seeds or Black Sesame Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Pink Salt
Super simple to make.
First preheat the oven to 350 F/ 150C. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water and stir until well combined.
Set the bowl aside and allow thickening for about 5–10 minutes. The mixture will thicken and get a dough like consistency. In the meantime, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture over to the prepared baking tray. Spread into a thin layer without holes in the layer. Possibly you need to use two baking trays depends on how big your oven and your sheets are.
Bake for 15 min (in total for 60 min). Pull out the sheet and take a pizza cutter and cut the crackers in the size you want. I love half of mine in cracker size and the other half in crispbread size.
Bake for another 45 minutes (±10 minutes). Keep an eye on your crackers, so they will not turn out too dark. They burn really quickly.
Remove the vegan crackers from the oven and let them cool for around 5 minutes. No need for a wire rack. Now you can easily break them apart.
I love to prepare them days before. These oil free seed crackers are perfect for a prepped snack you can easily grab on-the-go.
Let us find out how we can substitute certain ingredients for these flaxseed crackers and how you can adjust the recipe to make it for example gluten-free. These vegan Seed Crackers are already nut free.
- Old Fashioned Oats: You can also use Quick Oats for your Seed Crackers. If you use the Quick Oats, you don’t have to soak the oats as long as with old-fashioned.
- Flour: You can either use Whole Wheat Flour, All Purpose Flour or Spelt Flour. To make it gluten-free you can also use gluten-free Flour Mix, Brown Rice Flour or Almond Flour.
- Seeds: You can use different types of seeds of your choice. If you use different seeds like pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, make sure you weight the ingredients, and you keep the weight of the mix of seeds the same. Instead of Flax Seeds (golden linseed) you can use Chia Seeds to make Chia Seed Crackers.
- Pink Salt: I love to use Himalayan Pink Salt, but you can also use Sea Salt. This is up to you. You can make it also salt free and use some lemon juice, vinegar or lemon zest to add more flavor.
Can you add other flavors to your crispy crackers? Of course, you can do that. Here are some flavors I love to add to mine. You can always add your favorite herbs and spices.
- Italian Herbs
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend
- Pizza Style Herbs: Oregano, Basil, Paprika Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
- Vegan Cheese Cracker: Vegan Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast for some cheesiness.
- Sea Weed: Add some chopped nori sheets to add some extra flavor.
- Black Pepper and Sea Salt
What can you serve with these crackers. You can easily eat them as a snack with some vegan dips:
Or you can enjoy them with some soups or with salads.
These crackers can be easily stored for 3 weeks or more. Ours don’t last longer than 3 weeks, and they all landed in our bellies. Just store them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can use a cookie tin or a snapware food container.
- I prefer to use raw seeds instead of pre-roasted seeds.
- You can use ground flaxseed instead of whole flax seeds if you want to. I know your body can easier absorb the nutrition of flaxseeds when cracked.
- You could also make sweet vegan flax crackers to add some maple syrup if you get munchies for something sweet.
- I prefer to cut my crackers after 15–20 minutes of baking time. It is easier to break them in size later. If you bake them first and then break apart, they crumble easily.
- If you do not have a pizza cutter, you can also use a sharp knife.