Are you ready for a completely new flavor experience? The vegan Beet Soup recipe with Cardamom and Ginger will take your taste buds on a wild ride. This soup is sure to become one of your favorite go-to recipes, especially in winter months.
It's packed with vitamins and minerals from the beets, plus flavors from cardamom and ginger that make it truly unique. Plus, it's incredibly easy to prepare!
In just one pot, you can have a nutritious meal that everyone at the table will enjoy - even picky eaters! So let’s get started: grab your ingredients and prepare for an unforgettable flavor journey!
When you like vegetarian beet borscht with the earthy flavor, then you should try this flavorful beet soup.
This recipe was inspired by my red cabbage soup. It pairs well with my roasted chickpeas, or crusty bread.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read More
As mentioned above, you really do not need many ingredients.
And maybe you even have most in your stock, like the spices, coconut milk, vegetable broth and ginger?! Then you have to buy even less.
You can find the ingredients with quantities and the recipe to print out on the recipe card below.
- Pre-cooked beetroot, or raw beets (takes just a little longer)
- Potatoes, yellow
- Ginger, fresh
- Cumin, ground
- Cardamom, ground
- Vegetable stock
- Coconut milk
- Sea salt and black pepper
Dice the beetroot, potatoes and ginger. And put all ingredients except the coconut milk in a sufficiently large pot.
Now let everything cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat, until the potatoes are soft. Poke a knife into the potato and if you do not feel resistance, the potato is cooked through.
Now you can purée the soup in your high speed blender, or you can use an immersion blender. Stir in coconut milk and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Hint: Sometimes I cook beets in batch to have them on hand quickly, and the meals are prepared even quicker. I cook them with the peel and peel them later, just scrape with knife over the peel and it will come off super easy.
Make this vegan beet soup, check out some of my other favorite soup recipes like and red cabbage beet soup, sauerkraut soup, green bean soup and more of my vegan soup recipes.
Let us find out what you could substitute to make this amazing vegan beetroot soup. And if you had a vegetarian borscht recipe before, you will like my version of this healthy soup.
- Beets: I made this recipe with precooked beets, it was a lot quicker than cooking the beets. Beets cook pretty long. You can always use raw beets and cook them with the potatoes, just let it cook for like 30 min until soft. You can also make this recipe with golden beets. Love the color of the golden beets.
- Yellow Potatoes: I love my yellow potatoes, they have great buttery potatoey flavor. You got russet potatoes? Of course, you can use them as well.
- Coconut Milk: For this creamy beet soup, I used coconut milk. Sometimes I make my own Sunflower cream, or cashew cream to use instead of coconut milk.
You can always add your own spin to the recipes. I see recipes more like a guideline.
- Fresh Herbs: Add some herbs like fresh dill to this creamy vegan beet soup and you will see the flavor is amazing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: You are missing some sweet sour flavor, add some of the vinegar. And enjoy this hot soup.
- Vegan Sour Cream: Use a spoonful of your favorite sour cream as decorations.
- Brussels Sprouts: Shred some Brussels and decorate your bowl of soup.
- Beet greens: Chop the greens of the beets and add them to the soup, you can always make a beet salad with them.
To make this vegan soup, you will need a regular blender, like an immersion blender or high speed blender. Also, you will need a large soup pot, I like to use a 4 quart pot (brand I use and love), it's big enough. You will also need a cutting board and a good chef knife (brand I use and love).
You got leftovers? Maybe you even cooked it in a bigger batch? I do that a lot. You can easily store the best beet soup in an airtight container (my favorite for soup) in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Furthermore, you can also freeze the soup in portion size. Let it thaw overnight in die fridge and warm it up on the stove top or microwave.
Add the coconut milk or cashew cream after blending the soup. This will help to make it creamy, and sometimes the coconut milk curdles up when boiling.
With the addition of potatoes and coconut milk, the earthy taste is not quite as strong.
It is easy to taste the earthy taste of beetroot afterward. If you do not like the strong taste, then this soup is something for you.
When I look at the ingredients, I say yes you get some nice health benefits.
The beetroot supplies vitamins A, B, C, and folic acid. And it lowers the risk of developing heart disease, lowers blood pressure and protects against cancer
The ginger is rich in vitamin C and also contains magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, sodium and phosphorus.
Ginger is supposed to have an antibacterial effect and ensures a healthy intestinal flora. Ginger prevents the proliferation of bacteria.
Beet tastes earthy and slightly bitter. Red beets always taste better with sweeter, fresh aromas. I find, for example This tomato sauce was delicious, I put some beetroot into it.
Raw salad with apples, nuts
Pickled beetroot loses the earthy taste (probably the reason why I love my grandma’s recipe) Russian borscht soup completes the taste of beetroot. Beetroot hummus is a great recipe as well.