This post is also available in: Deutsch
You are interested in vegan baking like me? You will be amazed what you can create without using eggs, dairy or other animal-based products. You can still indulge in cheesecakes, pies, cookies, breads and more. Check out my following categories with amazing recipes from fluffy breads, tasty cakes to amazing cookies and more holiday baking stuff. Most recipes are whole food plant-based compatible. I use Whole Grain (Spelt) Flours, no oil and other high processed foods.
Quick Tips for Vegan Baking Recipe:
- Milk: That is an easy swap. You do not have just one option to substitute milk. You can find so many plant-based milk options in the store: almond, hazelnut, soy, rice, oat and more. Just make sure you buy an unsweetend dairy-free milk.
- Buttermilk: You need Buttermilk in your vegan cake or bread. Just use 1 tbsp of fresh pressed lemon juice with 1 cup (240 ml) plant-based milk.
- Butter: You can easily use a vegan butter. Or if you want to make your cake, bread whole food plant-based, just use Nut butter or Seed butter. Here I take approximately 1/2 nut (seed) butter and 1/2 water (sparkling water without flavor).
- Eggs: Isn’t as complicated as you might think. You just have to figure out: Why does the batter need eggs? If you have that figured out you can easily substitute it. Just some examples:
- Pancakes: The eggs make the pancakes fluffy. And how do we get the pancakes fluffy without eggs? We need something that rises the pancakes when they “bake”. Like baking powder or baking soda. You just add some more baking powder than the recipe calls for. Like 1 tsp for 1 egg. And add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the batter. You will see that makes it even more fluffy.
- Light & Fluffy Cakes: You can easily use some silken (soft) tofu. Just make sure you blend it until it is smooth. 1/4 cup silken tofu is one egg.
- Cookies & Muffins: Flax Seeds or Chia Seeds are a great option to use as an egg replacement. Use 1 tbsp of chia seeds or cracked flax seeds and mix it with 3-4 tspb water for one egg. Let it sit for a couple minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- Recipes with a lot of eggs (4 and more): I love to use potato starch that holds for example the cake together, and makes it still fluffy. I use 1 tbsp potato starch and 3 tbsp water for 1 egg.
- Moist Cakes like brownies, banana bread, muffins: Mashed Bananas or Apple Sauce are a great option to get a moist batter. Just note that bananas have a pretty strong flavor. 1/4 cup fruit makes 1 egg.
My Top 6 Recipes