Vegan bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) - prepared quickly and easily. You only need a few ingredients to make delicious bread dumplings yourself. The popular German / Austrian classic with creamed mushrooms will taste great to everyone who tasted the non-vegan version. Creamed mushrooms complete the hearty bread dumplings, prepared from old rolls or toast bread (in the US there are hardly any german-style bread rolls). This dinner is not just for the fast hunger during the week, it also suits special occasions such as holidays, birthdays, etc.
vegan | oil-free | sugar free | wholesome | milk-free | egg-free | whole food plant-based
I can not remember when I first had bread dumplings in my life, but I've always found them delicious. And next to potato dumplings just as much a must-try. Don’t you think so?!
And since I eat plant-based, of course I had to dare to try the classics of the German kitchen like these bread dumplings with creamed mushrooms, Spaetzle, potato dumplings and conjure a healthier version, which are completely without animal products.
Vegan Bread Dumplings are a pretty easy recipe to make yourself without having to buy ready-made dumpling dough. You just have to pay attention to a few tricks / tips and you will get super tasty bread dumplings.
What do I need to cook dumplings with cream sauce?
Here is a brief overview of what you need for homemade, vegan bread dumplings.
- Old bread rolls (use whole wheat bread rolls) or whole wheat bread
- Almond milk
- Fresh, chopped parsley
- Potato starch
- A little salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Maybe some flour
- Wild Mushrooms (I usually get different ones: chanterelles, shiitake, oyster, king oyster, crimini,
- Garlic cloves
- White wine
- Cashews, soaked
- Ground caraway (no cumin)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How are dumplings made?
- Cut the rolls into big cubes. Put them in a bowl and pour the hot milk over them. Cover the bowl with a plate or lid to keep the water vapor in the bowl. So the cube rolls get all soft.
- Now cut the onion half into small cubes and fry the onion in a pan with a little water. Continue to add some water until the onions have a brownish color. Now add the chopped parsley and sauté them briefly. Turn off the heat.
- Now check the bun pieces are softened. If you see some dry pieces, make them a little bit smaller and mix them under the soft pieces. By kneading, all pieces should be softened if there is still some milk in the bowl and all the pieces are softened. Press the pieces of bread in your hand so that the excess milk can be poured off.
- Now add the onions with parsley and potato starch.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and shape to round dumplings. The dough should hold together quite well, if necessary add some starch.
- Moisten your hands and take as much dumpling dough as fits in a ladle and make a dumpling out of it. Continue with this until the dumpling dough is used up.
- If the dough sticks badly on the hands then mix in some more flour.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Turn down the heat so that the water just simmers and slowly add the dumplings with a slotted spoon in the simmering water.
- It takes about 20 minutes. The dumplings are done when they float up.
How do I prepare creamed mushrooms?
- Clean the mushrooms (if possible without water) and if necessary halve or quarter.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Brown the onion and garlic in a non-stick pan. Add some water repeatedly.
- Now add the mushrooms and fry vigorously. And deglaze with white wine. Cook as long as the white wine is present.
- Blend the soaked cashew nuts with the water in a high speed blender until nice and smooth. If necessary, sieve through a hair sieve.
- Add to the mushrooms and season with the remaining spices.
- Bring to a boil. Now the sauce should thicken. Should it be too thick, add some more water. If it is too fluid, cook for a little longer.
What if I do not have a roll on hand, but feel like bread dumplings?
Maybe you have already noticed that we live in the US and here where we live it is rather difficult to find bread rolls. And it is maybe difficult where you live. So do not worry, I got you covered. I mostly see just those soft rolls for burgers. I mostly use a bread like toast bread and cut this in cubes. I find it here with white flour or as a whole wheat bread. Maybe you can find something similar too, and the bread dumplings turn out perfect. So if you still have toast bread at home, then try to conjure bread dumplings. I can also imagine that the dumplings also taste great with an artisan bread. You may have to change the quantities a bit. The dough shouldn’t stick to your fingers, and shouldn't fall apart when you shape the dumplings.
How can you freeze bread dumplings?
Semmelknödel are easy to freeze. You can simply prepare a larger amount of vegan dumplings and place them in the freezer on a plate or baking tray just after forming. Let them freeze and then you can put them in containers.
If you want to cook the dumplings then you can just cook the frozen dumplings in hot water as usual.
Personally, I love to cook in large quantities and then freeze, so we always have something delicious, homemade on hand. Especially when you have a lazy day, and I have to confess, I often have it with two small children. So I'm always happy when I have leftovers or pre-cooked stuff in the fridge or freezer.
What can I eat with the Semmelknödel?
As already mentioned, bread dumplings with or without eggs taste good with
- Creamed mushroom (mushroom cream sauce),
- Mushroom Stroganoff (mushroom ragout),
- Red cabbage (Rotkraut)
- Turkey Roast,
Tips for the perfect bread dumplings
- Make sure you do not put the dumplings into bubbly boiling water, just in simmering water. It is possible that the dumplings will fall apart. Incidentally, this applies to potato dumplings and other dumplings as well. I usually let the water boil briefly, and then turn off the heat and wait until the water is just simmering.
- Use a skimmer to scoop the dumplings out of the water. The dumplings are cooked when they float to the surface.
- Cut the bread into rough pieces and not too small. We want nice coarse and airy bread dumplings. If you cut the roll too small, then the consistency may vary slightly.
- Bread Dumplings are super easy to prepare without egg. You just have to figure out what the egg in a recipe is for. For example, here with the dumplings, the egg is for binding and makes the dumplings airy. You can just use starch. I like to use potato starch, as the dumplings are a bit more airy than with normal cornstarch.
More dumpling recipes:
Do not forget to Pin on Pinterest
Have you tried the recipe?
If you tried the vegan bread dumplings with creamed mushrooms, be so nice ♥ and let me know by rating the recipe and writing what you think about it in the comments. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @veeatcookbake and my hashtag is #veeatcookbake. So that I can see your creation. Did you know you can add photos on Pinterest under the recipe Pin? I can’t wait to see a photo of your creation there. You find me with @veeatcookbake. I also would love to hear your feedback so I can share it on my social media channels.
This post may contains affiliate links and I may receive a very small commission if you buy through these links at no extra cost. Thank you very much for supporting Ve Eat Cook Bake! More information can be found here.