Are you one of those people who loves potatoes and longs for a warm bowl of potato soup on a cold day? If so, this vegan potato soup recipe is for you! Not only is it dairy free and gluten-free – it's also oil free and made with whole food plant based ingredients.
This recipe was inspired by my favorite German version of creamy potato soup that is not just famous in Bavaria, but given a “plant strong” twist.
So go ahead - put on your favorite cozy sweater, brew yourself some tea or coffee, and get ready to enjoy this delicious hearty vegan Potato Soup!
It takes you about 30 minutes and few ingredients to prepare this great vegan potato leek soup - a great dinner for the week.
My vegetarian potato leeks soup is one of the dishes I prepare if I do not know what to cook. And served with apple pancakes or waffles, this soup is just yum.
You will learn here how to make an easy vegan potato soup the easy way. I give you some tips and tricks on the way to make this classic potato soup flavorful.
You can make a creamy vegan potato soup or a chunky potato soup.
Potato lovers need to try some German Potato Recipes like potato dumplings, dumplings with potatoes. Some great recipe you got to try.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read More
Now let us look into the ingredients for this flavorful vegan potato soup recipe.
You can find the ingredients with quantities and the recipe to print out on the recipe card below.
- Garlic cloves
- Celery root
- Vegetable broth
- Dried lovage (opt)
- Liquid smoke
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
First, sauté the onions and chopped garlic in a sufficiently large pot on medium heat. Now add all remaining ingredients and let simmer until the potatoes are soft. Use a knife and stab in the potatoes. If there is no resistance, the potatoes are cooked through. IT takes around 25-30 minutes.
Now take an immersion blender or add the sauce to your high speed blender and purée the soup. If you want a potato soup chunky, take out half of the soup and then purée. Then replace the not blended soup.
Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Make this delicious soup, check out some of my other soups like broccoli cheddar soup, cauliflower soup and more vegan soup recipes .
Slow Cooker & Instant Pot Instructions
- Slow Cooker: You can also add it to a slow cooker like a crock pot and let it cook for around 3 hours. This will make the potatoes soft.
- Instant Pot: You can also prepare the soup in a pressure cooker or instant pot. First sauté the onions and garlic and when all ingredients have been added, cook under pressure for about 10 minutes. Then the potatoes should be soft and they are ready to be blended.
- Potatoes: What potatoes are best for a potato soup? For a potato soup, which is also creamy, it is better to use floury/ starchy potatoes with a high starch content like Yukon Gold Potatoes or Russet potatoes. I prefer yellow potatoes because they have more flavor than the russets.
- Leeks: If you cannot find leeks, or you got already some green onions, you can also use a bunch of those.
- Celery Root: I love Celeriac: Where I live right now it is hard to come by, I often substitute the soup with celery. Adds a nice savory, salty flavor to your warming bowl during soup season.
- Cheesy: Add some nutritional yeast to add some cheesy tang to your soup.
- Chunky Soup: If you want the potato soup chunky, then take just as described in the tips above of the soup away. Here you can decide how much soup you want to skim off. After puréeing, just add the soup again. And you will have potato chunks in your soup. You can also purée the soup very roughly, while I leave the immersion blender at the lowest level.
- Creamy Soup: Do you want a potato cream soup you can add some non-dairy milk almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk or even a dairy-free cream like cashew cream.
- Smoky Flavor: Use a few drops of liquid smoke to add some smokiness to your creamy vegan soup. Or top some vegan bacon bits like coconut bacon.
- Topping: Top the soup with some extra crunch like croutons or crispy chickpeas.
- Side: Serve the soup with a baguette, waffles or apple pancakes. Apple pancakes are one of our favorites.
For this one-pot meal, you will need a soup pot like 4qt size. A knife, a peeler, cutting board. Also, a regular blender like an immersion blender or a high-powered blender.
You can freeze a potato soup very well. However, you have to pay a lot of attention. Otherwise, the consistency and taste may change. And we do not want that, right?
Freeze only creamy mashed potatoes without pieces, otherwise the potatoes will be mushy, glassy and sweet. Why does the potato get sweet? The potato converts starch into sugar. This process requires the potato for the metabolism. However, if the potato drops below 39 F (4 degrees Celsius), the metabolism slows down, but it will continue to produce sugar.
In the cool temperature, however, the potato does not need the sugar and is thus stored in the potato itself.
And the potato gets sweeter. The potato gets soggy because the water in the cells freezes and the membrane is destroyed.
Add milk, cream and other fillings like coconut cream, croutons later.
After thawing and heating, the greasy components in the coconut milk will flocculant and that does not look so appetizing, right?
If you like the taste of frozen potatoes, you have to find out on your own. Some people find that nothing changes in taste, and others say the taste changes a lot. Anyway, it's best to eat the soup within 6 weeks.
Yes, potato soup can be frozen relatively well. Before you freeze the soup in a plastic box or in a freezer bag, you should let it cool completely.
How long does the vegan potato soup last?
If you store the soup in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator, it will last for 3-4 days.
Use an immersion blender for the potato soup. You do not necessarily need a high speed blender. It's enough if you purée the soup in the pot. If you're using a high speed blender, watch out for the heat. It is best to leave off the middle cap or let the soup cool down first.
You can also add a dash of coconut milk to make the soup even creamier. Take the coconut milk out of the can.
Or take another heavy cream alternative.
Often Potato Soups are made with bacon or a beef broth. Therefore, most potato soups are not vegan or even vegetarian.
Or potato soups are served with sausages. You can easily prepare your own vegan potato soup.
When you're in the restaurant, ask how it's cooked. Maybe this can then be veganized easily.