This post is also available in: Deutsch
You can bake crispy vegan pretzels with this recipe that are in no way inferior to the bakery in terms of appearance and taste. The best part they are vegan.
When we were still living in Germany, we had fresh pretzels almost every day. I love pretzels that are crispy on the outside and nice and airy on the inside. And this delicious vegan recipe fulfills my preferences. Here in America, unfortunately, I find only these “soft pretzels”, which are nice brown on the outside, but unfortunately just totally soft. These are not similar to the German pretzels.
Try these out. The dough does not take much effort and are prepared quickly. Once you’ve eaten these, you do not want others anymore.
Instead of forming pretzels, try knots or long buns.
- 500 g grains (spelt, kamut )
- 1 pck active dry yeast
- 250 ml of plant milk
- 50 g almond butter,cashew butteror coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (opt)
- 1 liter of water
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- coarse salt to sprinkle
- Grind the grains to flour. For this I use the accesory for the KitchenAid. You can also buy flour.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk alternative.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and process to a homogeneous elastic dough. If necessary, add more water or flour. The dough should be kneaded with the stand mixer for 5-10 minutes.
- Now cover the dough and let it rise in a quiet place for 1 hour.
- Knead again.
- Now divide 80 g parts. You should get arround 10 parts. Now you can shape these as you like.
- For pretzels: Form a 15 cm long snake and form it to a pretzel. Place it on a sheet or board with baking paper.
- Now heat the oven with the bread /pizza stone to 240 ° C.
- Cover the pretzels and let them rest for half an hour, then place them in the freezer or refrigerator to freeze. These can be almost frozen. So it works better to put these in the soda mixture.
- Use a large saucepan so that the pretzel has enough space in it. Fill a liter of water and add the
- baking soda. Now bring the water to boil.
- If the dough pieces are hard enough, take them out.
- Gradually place the pretzels in the boiling baking soda mix so that they are in the mix from all sides. Then put them back on the baking paper.
- Now you can sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt.
- after 45 minutes preheat, you can give the pretzels with the baking paper on the stone.
- With the help of the stone they get really crispy outside. Steaming isnt neccessary.
- Bake the pretzels for 10-14 minutes. Let them cool on a rack.