A recipe for airy, soft, vegan cinnamon buns (rolls) that are not just only tasty and delicious with the next cup of coffee or tea. This healthy version with whole spelt flour, without oil and sugar, can even be eaten for breakfast or dessert. Vegan | vegetarian | oil-free | sugar-free | without white flour
vegan, plantbased, dairyfree, eggfree
The onion tart and federweiser (young wine) time is back. A delicious hearty recipe which is a perfect alternative to pizza for a delicious and quick dinner or lunch. This vegan onion tart does not only taste good in company, for example birthdays. milk-free | plantbased | egg-free | nut-free optional
Vegan Onion Pies: Tradition on my birthday
On my birthday, it has become a tradition that we eat onion tart and drink Federweiser. Last year was my first vegan birthday and of course I had to try a vegan onion tart. I would not like to deprive you of this vegan version of the popular German onion tart. I’m still excited about how good this cake tastes. For example, my birthday guests did not notice that it was a vegan onion tart. They even got a good lookup and that makes you even happier, right?
My first birthday in the USA
This year will be my first birthday in the states. But I am lucky my parents are here and I can fully enjoy this day. I prepared the vegan onion tart a few weeks ago and freezed it until my birthday. And of course we can’t miss federweise. I can’t buy it here so I will make my own fresh federweiser from grape juice. In Germany it is tradition to eat onion tart and drink a glass of federweiser or more. 😉
Did you try the recipe?
If you did it, be so nice ♥ and let me know by rating the recipe and writing what you think about it. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @veeatcookbake and my hashtag is #veeatcomforts. So that I can see your creation. Did you know you can add photos on Pinterest under the recipe Pin? I can’t wait to see a photo of your creation there. You find me with VeeatCookBake.
- 300 ml of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons of oil or water
- 1 pck of yeast
- 1 flax - egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed + 4 tablespoons water)
- Flour (wholegrain or gf for a gluten-free version) to a homogeneous dough is formed, which dissolves from the bowl
- 1.5 kg of onions
- a little water or oil for frying
- 300 g cashews (soaked in water)
- 250 g of water
- 160 ml soymilk, unsweetened
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons of yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2.5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 120 g silken tofu
- Salt, pepper,liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 shot of white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- For the flaxseed egg pour the flaxseed meal and water 30 minutes before in a bowl and let it stand. The result is a gel-like consistency
- Now add all remaining ingredients except the flour.
- I start with with 2 cups flour and then add more and more carefully until the dough comes off the edge of the bowl.
- Now you can cover the bowl and let it raise. (1-2 hours)
- Add the soaked cashews to your blender. You can discard the soaking water or give it to your plants. Add water and soy milk and mix it in the blender until it is very creamy without pieces,
- Squeeze the silken tofu and weigh.
- Now add all the other ingredients, except the cumin and the onion, and mix well again. Now you can taste the whole sauce again.
- the sauce is ready, put it in the fridge
- Now peel the onions and shred them roughly. You can use a hand shredder, KitchenAid accessory or a Food Processor.
- Put this in a large pot and simmer with 1 teaspoon of caraway until the oinions are soft
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / convection. Now take the dough and divide it into two equal pieces. Roll it evenly on two baking sheets lined with baking paper. Spread the onions evenly on top. Take the sauce out of the fridge. I like to taste it again. If it is spiced enough for you, distribute the sauce evenly on both baking trays.
- Push the sheets into the oven and bake them for about 20-30 minutes or until they reach the desired color.
- Enjoy the tart with a glass wine or federweiser.
Join my Mailing List and get a exclusive monthly recipe + your copie of my eBook