This tasty onion tart does not only taste good with german federweiser in fall. Try the vegan version of this tasty onion tart.
On my birthday, it has become a tradition that we bake onion tart (German Onion Cake) and drinking Federweiser. Last year was my first vegan birthday so I tried a vegan version. Now I finally come to share this delicious onion cake recipe with you. And I have to say, the cake has just become delicious. My guests have devoured this and did not think that it consists only plantbased ingredients.
This year it will be my first birthday in the states. I just have to try to make my own federweiser.
If you are not from Germany, you probably going to ask yourself what is federweiser?! Federweiser is a young wine. We drink it when it is really sweet and still in fermentation process. You just have to try this. It is so delicious.
If you made the onion tart yourself, show me your delicious tart. I look forward to it. On Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram! You can find me @veeatcookbake.
- 300 ml of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons of oil or water
- 1 pck of yeast
- 1 flax - egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed + 4 tablespoons water)
- Flour (wholegrain or gf for a gluten-free version) to a homogeneous dough is formed, which dissolves from the bowl
- 1.5 kg of onions
- a little water or oil for frying
- 300 g cashews (soaked in water)
- 250 g of water
- 160 ml soymilk, unsweetened
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons of yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2.5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 120 g silken tofu
- Salt, pepper,liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 shot of white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- For the flaxseed egg pour the flaxseed meal and water 30 minutes before in a bowl and let it stand. The result is a gel-like consistency
- Now add all remaining ingredients except the flour.
- I start with with 2 cups flour and then add more and more carefully until the dough comes off the edge of the bowl.
- Now you can cover the bowl and let it raise. (1-2 hours)
- Add the soaked cashews to your blender. You can discard the soaking water or give it to your plants. Add water and soy milk and mix it in the blender until it is very creamy without pieces,
- Squeeze the silken tofu and weigh.
- Now add all the other ingredients, except the cumin and the onion, and mix well again. Now you can taste the whole sauce again.
- the sauce is ready, put it in the fridge
- Now peel the onions and shred them roughly. You can use a hand shredder, KitchenAid accessory or a Food Processor.
- Put this in a large pot and simmer with 1 teaspoon of caraway until the oinions are soft
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / convection. Now take the dough and divide it into two equal pieces. Roll it evenly on two baking sheets lined with baking paper. Spread the onions evenly on top. Take the sauce out of the fridge. I like to taste it again. If it is spiced enough for you, distribute the sauce evenly on both baking trays.
- Push the sheets into the oven and bake them for about 20-30 minutes or until they reach the desired color.
- Enjoy the tart with a glass wine or federweiser.
Maybe you like: