After I dared to try the vegan cheesecake, I wondered if there is not a way to make the vegan curd, which is needed for cheesecake. A quick recipe without much effort.
A few years ago, I had tried to make Curd from cow’s milk. At this time, I still consumed dairy products. It worked quite well and was not difficult at all.
There must be a possibility with soy milk? After all, you can make yogurt with it, so why not vegan curd?
I often read that Soy milk thickened with the help of lemon juice. So, I had nothing to lose and began with my attempt to produce vegan curd. The effort itself is really not so much. The rest period is only about 1 day. If you need it for an recipe you have start just in time.
I had not really expected a satisfactorily result.
Should it really go so easy?
After a short time, the milk was already thickening. After one day, the milk looked like this. I could jump for joy. It worked. Let’s see what happened at the end of the process.
In fact, it was a curd-like consistency, not 100% firm as curd, but more solid than the yogurt. The next time I will try again for my cheesecake. As a bread spread, the curd also tastes good, or simply make herbal quark from it. In Germany, we use for almost everything curd.
Do you like curd? You do not have to miss it anymore? Make this vegan curd on yourself?
Do not throw away the whey. Use the vegan whey just for baking bread, cakes or other dishes. It’s worth it. For 500 g of quark, you need about 2 l Soydrink. About 1 liters of whey come out.
Let me just know how it worked for you. Tag me with #veeatcookbake on instagram or facebook and leave a comment below. I am happy to know how it turned out or what you fundamentally think of the recipe.
But here is the recipe:
- 2 l soy drink unsweetened (room temperature)
- 10 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Fill the room-warm Soy drink with the lemon juice into a bowl and cover it with a cloth (for example, a cheese cloth).
- Now leave it in a warm place for about 24 hours.
- You can already see how the curd separates from the whey.
- Heat the oven to 50 ° Celsius. Place the drink in the oven and switch off the oven directly.
- After 45 min you can take the bowl out of the oven. If this is placed in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, the thickened mass becomes stronger.
- In the meantime, prepare a strainer covered with a cloth.
- When the curd is ready, gently pour it into the sieve. Now let it sit there until the whey has run through the sieve completely. You can use the whey for other things.
Enjoy the curd!