Romanesco / cauliflower Casserole like my mum always does, only that it does not need any animal products. In terms of taste, it is in no way inferior to my mum’s. This super delicious casserole is made with seitan and black beans.
I found this great Romanesco here at the farmer’s market and I knew exactly what I would do with it. My mom used to cook cauliflower casserole and I loved this casserole. The variant of my mom, however, includes ground meat and accordingly I had not eaten it for some time now. So I tried a vegan version. And I have to say, the bean-seitan mass was very similar in taste and texture to ground meat. And the seasoning means everything. Arent you thinking the same?
At first I was a little worried if the mass dissolved in the sauce. This also convinced my little daughter.
What do you need for this:
– a cauliflower or Romanesco
– plant milk
– cooking broth of cauliflower
– black beans
– Soy granules
– Side dish (we like to eat boiled potatoes)
Below you will find the recipe again as a recipe card for printing.
First, I prepare the soy granules. To do this, first soften the granules in hot water for about 20 minutes. You can either take vegetable stock or season it the way you like to season your meat alternative. I use: salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, soy sauce, sweet paprika, lovage, some cayenne
In the meantime, I give the black beans in the blender with more spices and puree the whole thing fine. Cut the onion into fine cubes.
Now you can put everything in a bowl and add enough gluten powder to give it a homogenous mass that is not too dry.
Now you put the mass in a round casserole dish as a circle. So you can put the cauliflower in the middle later. Remember that the casserole dish is not too small. I am using a lodge pot.
Since this is a seitan mass, I bake it for 40 minutes at 180 ° C before I give the remaining ingredients. While your seitan is baking in the oven, you can cook the cauliflower / romanesco for a short time. To do this you take a pot in which the Romanesco fits perfectly and add water. I cook this for about 10 minutes.
Now you can take this out and pick up the cooking water. For this we make the sauce.
Make a roux and slowly add the cooking water and some plant milk and taste the whole thing a bit more.
Take the pot out of the oven. Put the cauliflower / Romanesco in the middle and pour the sauce over it. The whole comes again for about 30 minutes in the oven.
We also serve boiled potatoes.
I hope you like the whole meal as well as my family. Show me your creations on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram @veeatcookbake
- Seitan mass:
- 100 g ofsoy granules (TVP)
- ½ tsp thyme, rosemary, pepper, paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cans of black beans or kidney beans
- ½ tsp thyme, rosemary, pepper, paprika, smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cups of gluten powder (more or less depending on consistency)
- 1 cauliflower or Romanesco
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 400 ml of plant milk (soy, cashew or almond)
- 600 ml of cooking water of Romanescos
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- cook for about 10 minutes the Romanesco / cauliflower in plenty of water
- In the meantime you can soak the soy granules in boiling water with the spices until beans.
- Puree the black beans with the spices, soy sauce.
- Now mix the soy granules, the bean mass, onions and gluten powder to a homogeneous dough.
- Spread the dough in a ovenproof pot. I am using a lodge pot. I distribute this always on the edge, so that a circle is created and you can put the Romanesco in the middle.
- Put the mass in the preheated oven (350 ° F) for approx. 40 min.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Add the coconut oil to the flour and stir with a whisk until the oil is absorbed by the flour. Now add the plant milk and the cooking water with constant stirring.
- Tastes the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Now put the Romanesco on the seitan mass and pour the sauce over it.
- The whole thing you can put again in the oven for about 30 min.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and a green salad.